Monday, October 7, 2013

The Modern Puritan

     Though Puritans are not still existent in modern society, I believe that their beliefs and practices have been passed through the generations to be carried out, possibly in slightly different ways, by people today. 

     One of the main themes that I, at least, got from all these readings we’ve done and my prior knowledge was their policy of wrongdoing being the cause of punishment. You’d think that its only right for someone to be punished when they did wrong, but that was one of the big aspects of being a Puritan. Nowadays, with things as simple as disobeying moral house rules, one can be punished. 

     Another aspect of Puritanism that has been somewhat passed on to today is their sense of religiousness. Not being religious myself, I don’t have very much knowledge in this particular area, but I do know that there are still some very religious people, and in most religions, one is expected to obey the “laws” of the religion. These laws can differ from federal laws, but  like in Puritan times, they can be viewed as equal in importance to certain people. 


     Overall, because Puritanism wasn’t some highly exotic religion that involved intense practices and what not, its beliefs can be modified slightly (or not at all), and easily passed down to people today, which I believe they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment